Wednesday, August 5, 2009

a Woman of Faith

I am a Woman of Faith...at least I was last week when I attended the Women of Faith conference in Washington, DC. Sitting here it seems like it was a world away, two whole days to worship with no kids tugging and pulling at me. I really had no idea what to expect, other than enjoying two days of not taking care of anyone but myself. Well, God really showed me that it was far from taking care of myself, it was about taking care of each other. I had a wonderful experience bonding with other Christian women from my chuch. You know how you think you know people, well you really don't, until you go away with them!

Friday was good...the speakers were great and we really enjoyed seeing/hearing Stephen Curtis Chapman perform with his two sons. I cried...a little...but went back to the hotel energized and enlightened. Didn't get much sleep that night. Just picture 4 women in a hotel room in double beds...and one snores like a buzzsaw...that is an inside joke (but seriously you know who you are and I love ya!!! but I can't sleep w/ you again) I just can't sleep w/ snoring...hands down, crying - yes, whining - yes, coughing - yes, snoring - no...

Saturday was fantastic...first of all the speakers were incredible. Sheila Walsh gave a very personal testimony about her husband spending ALL their money, yes, I said ALL of it...savings, college fund, etc. you know, ALL of it. It was incredibly moving and inspirational to see how God delivered her through the darkness of her troubles. And she was able to forgive him and love him just as he was. We also heard from Lisa Welchel, you remember her from The Facts of Life, she played Blair for 9 years. She struggled for years with not being able to connect with people...she was on her own at age 12 living w/ a guardian in LA so she could be a tv star. She then grew-up...and well, her testimony was moving and very familiar to me, about the not being able to connect with others emotionally. I sat there going, yes I can relate to that...And there were other speakers and a wonderful performance from Mandisa, who was on American Idol. She has a pretty incredible testimony about how Simon Cow said nice things to her when she auditioned...she was a big girl but losing weight steadily and very nicely. She was impressed at how nice Simon was to her, and then when she was watching the tv with a group of friends and saw her segment aired the producers also aired Simon's comments when she left the room, which were not so nice and on national tv...So then when she went back for her next round, she claimed the name of Jesus Christ to Simon and told him he can't put her down because she is a beloved child of the most high God...etc...etc...and the producers choose to air all of that!! WOO HOO You Go Girl!

As I sat there I just felt God tugging me to become more involved in women's ministry, so with the blessing of our current group leader, I decided to sign-up to be the group leader next year. I'm super excited about it. I just feel that I have a story to tell and maybe it could encourage someone along the way to want a closer relationship with God. God has extended so much grace to me, since I was a little child, that I want to share it. I have ideas as to how I will share it or should I say, God has ideas, so stay tuned!

For now...For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not toharm you, plans to give you hope and a future. ( Jeremiah 29:11 )

2 comments:

Annisa said...

I'm so glad you had a good time and grew closer to the women around you and to God. Wonderful post!

Patti said...

Way to go Julie !!!! I am so happy to see your blog glorifying the Lord :)