Thursday, February 19, 2009

Park + City = Big Love

Gotta see it to believe it people! We have arrived! It was always a dream, fantasy, prayer of mine to live in Colorado. I've been to Denver and the surrounding area several times, including skiing Breckenridge, Keystone, Winter Park, Copper and Aspen. But move over Colorado, Hello UTAH! This place is absolutely breathtaking and amazing. From the time you hit the mountain peaks while flying into the airport til the time you arrive at the actual mountain, it's just amazingly beautiful. I cannot believe God made all this. Dave mentioned that on the airplane before we deplaned and Sophia said, "Wow, it took him a long time."

The first difference I notice between Utah and Colorado is that Utah is a lot cleaner, simpler and just uncomplicated. It's a 'what you see is what you get' kind of state. The second is that there really is no sprawl here, you get off the plane and are sitting in the middle of a valley of mountains, nothing else for miles til you get on 80 E. and finally see this city pop up (kind of the size of Harrisburg in fact)! Very interesting.

There are three ski resorts nestled right beside the high way and pretty much on top of each other, you could probably ski from one to the other they are so close. First is The Canyons, then Deer Valley and next Park City. Park City is just simply the most quaint and quintesential ski town you could ever imagine. Multicolored string lights hang diagonal from lamp post to lamp post crossing the street. All the little ski chalet type houses have lights on them and several tress coming into town are lit up. Plus with the winter Olympics here years back they still have the infamous Olympic Park open to visit and several very large icons commemorating the games. We ate at a cute little Irish Pub and then walked around sight seeing a bit. A couple weeks earlier they held the Sundance Film Festival here so we had to go see the Egyptian Theater. I will post some photos tomorrow. I have a very entertaining photo floating around cell phone pic messaging!

And we are very excited for tomorrow. Sophia will be taking her first ever ski lesson and boy is she ever excited!!! A bit nervous too, but super excited! Our rental turned out to be pretty RAD too...it's like three times the size of a hotel room and warm and unique. I totally love this, it's a huge $450K new RV motorhome, like what you saw in the movie RV...I could totally travel the country in this thing. I would just be so afraid of driving it, it's HUGE!!! I don't think I could do it!
Unless I run into Robert Redford, which I am on the celebrity lookout friends, I'll be back tomorrow with an updated post with photos! If by chance Robert, or Bob as his friends call him, Redford has happened across this blog and is reading this, I'll be at Park City skiing tomorrow. I'll be the one in the lime green vest...don't be shy!

Tune in tomorrow evening for the snow report!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jules! You crack me up. Sounds like you are LOVIN it! Have a wonderful time and take lots of pics. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip. Tutu will arrive Tuesday evening and will be here through March 17th. Baby is no longer breeched, so I can breathe a sigh of relief that I don't have to have a C-Section. I was dreading that! Go Sophia! How cool is it that she is taking her first ski lesson in such a beautiful place. Hope you see Bob!