Wednesday, January 27, 2010

There comes a time...

If you have kids then you know what I mean when I say 'there comes a time' in every mother's life when you have to face the fact that your child is a grown-up. My 19 year old son, soon to be 20 on April 30th, has been talking about going into the Marines for the past few months. I thought he was joking about it or just saying it to taunt me because I still nag him about cleaning his room, doing his laundry and making sure he gets to work on time. It's no joke...he's serious and I'm very sad. I'm sad because as a Mother my first reaction is to be scared out of my wits. My son loves to shoot guns. A few weeks back we had a coyote in the backyard...so I texted him and the next thing I knew he was flying through the door to get the shotgun. He loves the thrill of it I guess. But, I am proud because he wants to serve our awesome country, but scared because he wants to be a Marine Recon and go into combat to shoot everything in sight. Now that scares the hell out of me! So please pray for him, for his decision, his safety and for him to act maturely on his instincts as he enters this new journey of his life.

Jordan is a good kid. He's has trouble with school but he's overcome it and faced the adversity. I never let go of him, even though I would get mad like any parent would if they caught their kid sneaking out, smoking pot, lying, cutting class, calling off work...but I never let go. I hate to let go but I know I have to do it. I pray daily for God to guide and direct him. I love him so much. I'm hoping this deicion helps him find some guidance in life and purpose.

How am I coping with this? Well if you ask, I"m baking...tonight I made 3 cheesecake crusts, and even though I tripled the batter it still only made enough for 2 cakes. Tomorrow I'll get more eggs, cream cheese, etc to finish the third one and make Lily her birthday cake. We are having a small pizza/cake gathering for her on Saturday and then head downtown for Ice Fest and fireworks.

No comments: